As I sit here typing this I have Uptown Funk (feat. Bruno Mars) by Mark Ronson on repeat. I would have listened to this song maybe 50 times in the last few days plus watched the video clip a dozen times. Why? Because I LOVE it! Because it makes me feel good. Because it makes me sing and dance. Because the lyrics are just perfect for feeling good about yourself. Too hot! Don’t believe me just watch 😉
Have you had or have a song that when you hear it makes you want to sing out loud and dance with reckless abandon? In those moments you feel fully alive, full of energy and truly happy. And all because you hear a few chords strung together in the right sequence. Music can have an enormous impact on us; it can lift your mood, put a smile on your face and add immeasurable quality to your day and life.
It can also have the opposite effect… A sad song that brings back painful memories or a time in your life that wasn’t happy can all of a sudden see tears involuntarily well up in your eyes. Even if that time in your life was years ago, music can still move you to feel those painful emotions over again.
Music can also make education fun for children. There are many groups such as the Wiggles who have been very successful in putting words to music in such a way that children don’t realise they are learning while they are having fun.
Music brings people together. Whether it is a group of friends jamming in the garage, musicians playing in an orchestra or band that we go to watch and listen or a good old karaoke sing a long music is in all of us and there is a certain connection between us when we come together with music.
Music truly is the language of the universe that has no boundaries of communication. Whether we as humans speak a different language or even pets, birds and whales understand music to a certain degree.
So how can we use this incredible gift to enhance our life and wellbeing? Here are my top 5 tips on how I incorporate music into my life to lift my mood and get me motivated!
- Build a collection of inspirational and motivational songs on your smart phone or ipod so you can listen to music that fills your heart with joy every single day. With the incredible range of ear buds available you can listen to music almost anywhere. On your commute, at work if your job permits; the last thing I do before I walk out the door in the morning is put on a uplifting song to ensure I start my day with a spring in my step!
- There is not an athlete in the world who doesn’t use music to motivate themselves and we all know every gym in the world has music pumping to motivate you to exercise. Pick your favourite work out tracks and incorporate them into your exercise regime to motivate you to push harder!
- To share with friends or that special someone. There is nothing like happy music in the background as you catch up with friends aka party! I usually have one of the music channels on like Max so that there is the visual video clip as well. Or change the mood for that special someone with something more romantic or sexy!
- We have all walked into a day spa for a massage and heard that relaxing new age music. Easier enough to put on your smartphone and time it for say 20 mins if you have trouble sleeping music can help you find your zzzzz’s. You could even find music that has subliminal affirmations to reprograming your subconscious as you drift off! Topic for another blog!
- Never underestimate the power of driving along and singing along at the top of your voice! Guaranteed to lift your mood! I also play music while I am doing the housework; similar affect!
Music has played a huge role in my life in my battle with depression. I have used it to block out the world and ensure I am protected from anything sad. So many girl power songs have been played over and over and over!